Tuesday 26 June 2012

Trifle

I guess most people's idea of a trifle is sponge cake, fruit, custard, cream and decorations, and if I'm honest Mom's trifles fit that bill. But we're talking about the 1960s here! So in honour of Mom's trifle I wrote a poem. I'm going to try and do it in a monospaced font to see if it looks like it should:

|Hundreds and thousands|
|Tinned condensed cream|
\Birds homemade custard/
 \Tinned fruit & jelly/
  \Sponge cake in rum/
   |YUM YUM YUM YUM!|


To start with, Mom would go to Firkins the bakers on her way home from work (or late in the day if she wasn't working) and get yesterday's sponge cake which was sold off cheap. (A good tip. I wonder if Greggs do something similar?) Then she'd split the cakes horizontally and pour dark rum, sherry, apricot brandy or whatever was left over from Christmas (but NEVER Dad's Drambuie!) over them. She would make up a jelly using jelly cubes, hot water and the juice from a tin of fruit. When it was partly set she'd stir the fruit into the jelly and pour it on top of the sponge cake. The custard was always Bird's custard - making this quantity of custard from scratch would involve 6 eggs which could be better used elsewhere. No matter: Bird's custard is the best. When it was colder than the jelly, that went on top. The whole thing then went into the fridge. 

Whipped cream, eh? Not on your nelly. A tin of Ideal condensed cream, shaken for hours to within an inch of its life, then opened and spooned on top. It has a taste all of its own. That was covered with "hundreds and thousands", those little coloured strands of sugar. Sometimes we could afford silver dragees,or sugared almonds, but not often. A real treat was glace cherries, which would be chopped into pieces rather than left whole.

And so back into the fridge, to be served at celebrations or if friends of Dad's came round for tea. (I'm not sure Mom was allowed friends round. I wasn't.) 

At some time in the 1960s, Birds themselves decided to produce boxes of trifle ingredients, which we tried but still went back to the original. If you want to you can try it for yourself. I don't make trifle now, I'm the only one in the house that eats it, and I'm fat enough thank you! But if I ever get the chance, this is what I shall make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comment, but please be polite, respectful and constructive. I'm old fashioned enough to care.