Monday 25 June 2012

Why I don't use pressure cookers

In the pressure cooker was a leg of lamb, some veg and some water. Mom put it on the stove top, put the lid on and put the timer on. Unfortunately she misread the instructions and thought you cooked it for longer than she should.

BANG!

And I don't just mean Bang.

I mean the sort of Bang that threatened to demolish the flat and its neighbours!

Lamb and veg all over the kitchen - walls, ceiling, floor...

And nothing else for tea.

So we had to have the staple food of my childhood, and my mother's and no doubt her mother's before her - "Bread and Ifit".

The pressure cooker, however, was not consigned to the dustbin: it had cost far too much! The base was still perfectly serviceable, and Dad used to use it to boil stuff up in. (You really don't want to know what stuff that was. It wasn't edible.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comment, but please be polite, respectful and constructive. I'm old fashioned enough to care.